Extinction Rebellion Lewisham to ‘swarm’ major London roads during Friday morning rush hour
June 12, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
NEW – What emergency? https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/the-emergency/
- On Friday morning (14th June) dozens of Extinction Rebellion Lewisham protestors will ‘swarm’ major roads into central London including the London South Circular, A21 and A2. Traffic will be blocked for up to 7 minutes at a time at each location.
- The action is intended to put pressure on the government, Sadiq Khan and local councils to tackle the poisonous air that millions of children and adults are being forced to breathe in the London and around the country.
On Friday morning (14th June) dozens of Lewisham residents will halt traffic on major roads in the area to protest against dangerous levels of air pollution. Protestors will block traffic in order to discuss the need to combat the climate crisis with drivers and invite them to join a local XR group. School-children and commuters walking through the polluted streets will also be offered leaflets and cake.
Drivers heading towards central London will be delayed on the A205 South Circular in Catford, on the A21 at Lewisham Station and on the A2 in Deptford during the morning rush-hour between 7.30 and 9am.
Lorna Greenwood, a 9 month pregnant mother of two, from Extinction Rebellion Lewisham said “Air pollution is an environmental and health crisis across the UK. Children’s lungs are being stunted, babies are struggling to breathe and toxins are being found in the wombs of pregnant women. Our politicians know this but getting them to act is like wading through treacle.
“The aim is not to make life harder for ordinary people – we’ve all got jobs too and we know how annoying this is. It’s about telling our politicians – in a way that will force them to confront the truth – that our children are literally dying to breathe.”
This is expected to be the first in a series of disruptive actions by Extinction Rebellion Lewisham as part of a campaign called ‘Let Lewisham Breathe’. Levels of pollution in New Cross and Deptford are up to six times higher than World Health Organisation guidelines, according to recent research by experts at Goldsmiths, University of London. Last year, Sadiq Khan called air pollution in Lewisham a ‘health crisis’ and residents in a new housing development in Deptford will be told to keep their windows shut in order to avoid the worst of the pollution.
Extinction Rebellion Lewisham have started warning drivers in advance of the disruption with banners and posters on the affected routes. They are also in contact with local schools and have given the emergency services in Lewisham a contact number so that protestors can clear a path for ambulances and fire engines needing to pass through the protest points.
To get involved please search for Extinction Rebellion Lewisham on Facebook or email XRLewishamPlus@gmail.com
Notes to editors
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is every citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
UK website: https://rebellion.earth/
International website: https://xrebellion.org/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR hashtag #ExtinctionRebellion
Declaration of Rebellion: https://rebellion.earth/declaration/
Get involved in Extinction Rebellion’s other events
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out
- Start a group where you are – locally in the UK or in your country around the world
- Find your local group: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11jUqqjTHMThksd4KbvGGzb3I3Cr3PkBl&usp=sharing
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites
- We are holding Collaborative Leadership Calls to help coach people to improve their leadership skills and capacities
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our Fundrazr crowdfunder.