BREAKING: Extinction Rebellion Lewisham blocks major London roads during rush hour
June 14, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
NEW – What emergency? https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/the-emergency/
- Over 50 Extinction Rebellion Lewisham protestors are ‘swarming’ major roads into central London
- The action is intended to put pressure on the government, Sadiq Khan and local councils to tackle the poisonous air that millions of children and adults are being forced to breathe in London and around the country.
Over 50 Lewisham residents are blocking major roads in South London to protest against dangerous levels of air pollution. Protestors are blocking traffic in order to put pressure on politicians to tackle dangerous air pollution. Commuters are being offered leaflets and cake during the delays and being encouraged to switch of their engines while they wait.
Protestors include school children, parents, professionals and teachers. They are holding up signs which read “Drowning in CO2” and “This air is killing us”.
13 year old Freya who joined the protest before going to school said “I’m here because lots of people don’t care. Most adults don’t listen to the children. They can’t stop polluting. This is the only way to make change.”
Pete Pello 32, designer said “I’m here because I can’t ignore the facts anymore. I don’t feel comfortable standing by and letting future generations deal with the world we are creating for them. It’s something I feel I have to do.
“It’s been amazing so far. People are being patient and waiting. We’ve had a few angry shouts but most people are pretty relaxed and supportive. There’s a really great mix of people here from school children to older people. For lots of them, it’s the first time they’ve done anything like this.”
Extinction Rebellion Lewisham is demanding that Sadiq Khan and the government do more to tackle air pollution and the climate crisis. They’re also demanding that Lewisham council follows Oxford City Council and sets up a citizens assembly to address the air pollution and climate crisis.
This is expected to be the first in a series of disruptive actions by Extinction Rebellion Lewisham as part of a campaign called ‘Let Lewisham Breathe’. Levels of pollution in New Cross and Deptford are up to six times higher than World Health Organisation guidelines, according to recent research by experts at Goldsmiths, University of London. Last year, Sadiq Khan called air pollution in Lewisham a ‘health crisis’ and residents in a new housing development in Deptford will be told to keep their windows shut in order to avoid the worst of the pollution.
Extinction Rebellion Lewisham warned drivers in advance of the disruption with banners and posters on the affected routes. They also contacted local schools and provided the emergency services in Lewisham a contact number so that protestors can clear a path for ambulances and fire engines needing to pass through the protest points.
To get involved please search for Extinction Rebellion Lewisham on Facebook or email XRLewishamPlus@gmail.com
Notes to editors
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is every citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
UK website: https://rebellion.earth/
International website: https://xrebellion.org/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR hashtag #ExtinctionRebellion
Declaration of Rebellion: https://rebellion.earth/declaration/
Get involved in Extinction Rebellion’s other events
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out
- Start a group where you are – locally in the UK or in your country around the world
- Find your local group: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=11jUqqjTHMThksd4KbvGGzb3I3Cr3PkBl&usp=sharing
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites
- We are holding Collaborative Leadership Calls to help coach people to improve their leadership skills and capacities
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our Fundrazr crowdfunder.