Statement from Extinction Rebellion UK on the preemptive arrest of members of Heathrow Pause
September 12, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
Phone: +44(0)7986671716 / +44(0)7561098449 / +44(0)7804743058
As we approach the Global Climate Strike on 20 September, the inaction of our governments on the climate and ecological emergency becomes ever clearer. The growing global climate movement demonstrates the increasing fears that our current system is not fit to protect people and the natural world. Around the world people are realising the truth of the existential threat we face and are coming together to demand immediate action.
We are aware that members of the Heathrow Pause group have been preemptively arrested this afternoon. While Extinction Rebellion UK recognises the need for actions that are highly disruptive and controversial in order to highlight the severity of the climate and ecological emergency, we stand by our position to neither condone nor condemn the Heathrow Pause action.
Members of Heathrow Pause, which includes Extinction Rebellion co-founder Roger Hallam, are acting from a deep sense of duty and care for their loved ones and for those already suffering the deadly effects of climate breakdown. We ask that people reflect on what has happened today.
This isn’t a distant apocalypse. People all over the world are suffering and dying right now. Whole species are going extinct. And it will only get worse.
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.