We come in peace: Extinction Rebellion message to government and response to Met Police statement
October 02, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
Phone: +44(0)7561098449 | +44(0)7756142621
Following the press conference given by the Met Police today, Extinction Rebellion would like to remind the government that we are a peaceful non-violent movement made up of people from all walks of life, young and old. We are doctors, builders, teachers, lawyers, scientists, students, electricians and even former police officers. Many are prepared to risk their liberty to stand up for the planet.
Parliament declared an environment and climate emergency in May. Was that an empty gesture?
Young people today are already experiencing eco-anxiety. This kind of response is only going to make the situation worse.
An Extinction Rebellion spokesperson said:
“We appeal to the humanity of the government and authorities to remember that we are non-violent protestors. We appeal to their humanity to remember that we are facing an unprecedented global emergency. Many are losing their lives already and we are called upon as human beings to act now.
“We also say to them, the people of London and every other person that we cannot do this without them. We invite them to join us, along with the doctors, teachers, scientists, the young and the old, on the streets from 7th October.”
Notes to editor
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion Demands:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Networkand let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UKor around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion emerged from the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.