Issue two of The Hourglass has landed!
October 29, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
- Issue two of The Hourglass newspaper released today
- Features exclusive interview with artists Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman
- 145k newspapers to be distributed across the UK – as far as the Orkney Islands
Issue two of The Hourglass newspaper has been released today. Printed on recycled paper and with a distribution of 145k papers, The Hourglass is being distributed by rebels from Extinction Rebellion’s regional groups across the UK who believe in telling the truth through the press.
The Hourglass second edition features an exclusive interview with Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman, a Youth Voice section, a candid article by hospital Doctor Amelia Cussions on the climate and ecological emergency, plus the latest news and comment pieces.
The first issue of the newspaper proved so popular that original documents are being requested in Canada and the US so that rebels can print the newspaper there. Copies have also been requested by people in Norway, Finland and Amsterdam.
The response to The Hourglass from the public has been overwhelming, with many individuals thanking the newspaper team for frank climate reporting, and asking to donate money to future editions. Some of the feedback received from readers can be seen on the Letters page (page 14) of the newspaper. The second issue has four further pages of content than the first, bringing the newspaper to 16 pages in total now.
Distribution coordinator Angus Barr, said “The Hourglass arises out of the urgent need for journalism to give the emerging climate and ecological crisis its due weight on a planet that, scientists and sociologists agree, is becoming increasingly incompatible with human civilisation. In doing so it hopes to raise awareness among the public and offer solutions to the challenges ahead.”
Copies of The Hourglass have also been officially stored in the British Library.
For Extinction Rebellion:
Phone: +44(0)7986671716 | +44(0)7811183633 | +44(0)7938395439
For The Hourglass team: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Extinction Rebellion
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion is an initiative of the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.