Hunger Strike Day 12: UK-wide occupations of political party offices announced
November 29, 2019 by Extinction Rebellion
Phone: +44 7969 083 371 / +44 7459 055152
- Extinction Rebellion UK announces phase 2 of their Global Climate Hunger Strike: from 7 December hunger strikers and supporters will peacefully occupy local party offices across the country to demand all parties support the Three Demands Bill
- Global Hunger Strike continues with over 500 hunger strikers around the world demanding action on the Climate and Ecological Emergency
- Six Extinction Rebellion activists continue their hunger strike for the twelfth day outside the main UK political parties’ headquarters asking to meet party leaders to discuss the Three Demands Bill.
On 7th December, Extinction Rebellion UK activists will begin the second phase of their climate hunger strike by occupying local party offices around the UK to demand all parties support the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill (The Three Demands bill). Hunger strikers are calling on people to join them in solidarity in their local areas on the day.
The announcement comes as six people begin their hunger strike for the twelfth day outside the main UK political parties’ headquarters in London.
Petra Metzger, 37, has been on hunger strike for 12 days, said: “Political leaders don’t really feel the crisis. They take the debate of the climate crisis as another political issue to debate, or to score brownie points from the population and that deeply scares me. It is important that people get engaged in shaping their future. We cannot go on with business as usual.”
With scientists now saying that the earth may have already crossed a series of climate tipping points creating an “existential threat to civilisation” – and the EU Parliament yesterday declaring a Climate and Environmental Emergency – the hunger strikers remind us of just how vulnerable we are if we don’t take immediate action 
Extinction Rebellion UK has met with Plaid Cymru party leader, Adam Price, and will meet with Green party co-leader (Jonathan Bartley or Siân Berry), Mary Clegg, Chief Executive, and David Flint, Convenor Climate Change Working Group, on Monday. Activists met with Labour and Liberal Democrats’ senior figures this week, with follow up meetings expected. Responses from the Conservatives and Brexit Party are still eagerly anticipated.
Dr Larch Maxey, spokesperson for Extinction Rebellion: “For two weeks, brave rebels have used their own bodies as the alarm. The risks to their bodies increase daily, just as the risks of food shortages and societal collapse that we each face increase each day. All they’re asking is to meet party leaders to discuss their support for the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill. Four parties have already had or arranged talks with us, so it is now time to build pressure until they fully support the Bill.”
“We will therefore peacefully enter and remain within party offices, across the UK, from 9am on Saturday 7th December. We will remain until local candidates come to speak with us about their support for the Three demands Bill. Some candidates have already pledged to help make the Bill law, we just need others to join them.”
Global Climate Hunger Strike
This is part of a Global Hunger Strike, to highlight our current and future food vulnerability in the Climate and Ecological Emergency and act in solidarity with those already suffering. Some 527 people have signed up in 28 countries, with 263 in the UK, with more people signing up each day. 
Notes for Editors
Rebel Radio Humans of Extinction Rebellion
 Extinction Rebellion UK hunger strikers demand that all UK political parties and Parliamentary Candidates support the Three Demands Bill, and do all in their power to ensure it becomes law. The Bill calls for the following:
- Tell the truth: Tell the truth by declaring a Climate and Ecological Emergency and do all in their power to communicate the urgency for change, including working with government and other institutions.
- Act Now: Promote policies to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Beyond Party Politics: Help the government create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
Sign up for Global Hunger Strike here: https://rebellion.earth/event/global-hunger-strike/
A copy of the letter delivered to all UK party leaders can be found here
Draft of the Climate and Ecological Emergency (‘Three Demands’) Bill – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dXZif0DtyUkwUwQvj6XRQbFY_QwwoIUK/view
If you have any questions or need help with any of this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text Larch 07726195412
Further information on the Hunger Strike:
- Everyone who will participate as a hunger striker will need to fill in a form. The form is mandatory and if the striker is not registered, they will not be considered as part of the Extinction Rebellion Global Hunger Strike. This is for safety reasons.
- Furthermore, we are imposing a strict 24 hours limit for participants under 18 to hunger strike for health and safety reasons. For an under 18 to participate they MUST have both medical and parental consent and complete this form.
- The Global Climate Hunger Strike was initiated by Giovanni Tamacas of Extinction Rebellion US. Giovanni’s mother is from Vietnam and father from El Salvador. Like millions globally, his family are already feeling the devastation of the Emergency.
- The UK XR’s action is inspired by the iconic DREAM walkers’ hunger strike of 2012, an occupation by two young ‘undocumented’ immigrant students of President Barack Obama‘s Denver campaign office. Their hunger strike led to Obama passing the DREAM Act after an 11 year hiatus the Act grants legal status to certain undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States as children and went to school there. Massive displacement of populations and communities is accelerating in the wake of our global CEE.
- Protesters vow hunger strike to push U.S. on climate change – https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climate-protests-trfn-idUSKBN1XM2KU
Photo & Film opportunity: Find photos of hunger strikers here in the relevant day here. (Contact 07969 083 371)
About Extinction Rebellion:
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our Election Rebellion crowdfunder.
- Read more about Election Rebellion https://electionrebellion.uk/
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion emerged from the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.