Will the PM give up runways for Lent? Court of Appeal’s judgement on Heathrow expansion to be handed down tomorrow
February 26, 2020 by Extinction Rebellion
Tomorrow, Thursday February 27 the Court of Appeal will give its judgment on the legality of the UK Government’s planned expansion of Heathrow Airport. The hearing is set to start at 10am in Court 71, the Royal Courts of Justice, Strand. Extinction Rebellion and others will be gathering in solidarity outside the court buildings from 9am.
What the Court of Appeal decides on Thursday is of huge significance internationally as well as for the UK.
Plan B, one of several parties bringing legal challenges against Heathrow expansion, argued that the proposed expansion is illegal because it failed to take into account Paris Agreement temperature limit of 1.5˚C and “well below” 2˚C.
A ruling in Plan B’s favour tomorrow morning would be groundbreaking. The basic principle, that a government should assess major infrastructure projects against their own policy commitment to the Paris temperature limit, would be applicable to all 195 Governments which have ratified the Paris Agreement.
We wait with baited breath to hear if the PM will be giving up runways for Lent.
A full Q&A from Plan B can be found here.
Spokespeople for Extinction Rebellion and Plan B will be available outside the Royal Courts of Justice on Thursday morning and a full press release will follow the Court of Appeal’s decision.
About Extinction Rebellion
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction, global pollution, and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by their Government.
Extinction Rebellion’s key demands are:
- Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
- Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
- Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice.
- In the UK, come to one of our events, join the Rebellion Network and let us know how you can help out.
- Start a group where you are: in the UK or around the world.
- Find your local group.
- Check out the International XR website, with links to the French, German, Italian and UK websites.
- And while your time and energy are of most importance, if you are financially able to donate money, see our crowdfunder.
About Rising Up!
Extinction Rebellion emerged from the Rising Up! network, which promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion while the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.