For media enquiries, email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +44(0)7878535968 / +44(0)7549766448 / +44(0)7732576590 / +44(0)7403772717
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR; #extinctionrebellion
BREAKING, London: Extinction Rebellion says ‘WE’RE FUCKED”, block access to Downing Street
- Extinction Rebellion has descended on Downing Street, 7 arrests so far, with activists currently glued to heras fencing as part of the escalation of its nonviolent uprising against the British government for its criminal inaction on the climate emergency and ecological crisis. Another team of conscientious protectors are also currently blocking vehicular access to Downing Street
- Activists also dropped two banners, each 37 metre long, from Westminster Bridge saying “CLIMATE CHANGE” and ‘WE’RE FUCKED’
- For Rebellion Day (Saturday 17th November), Extinction Rebellion have informed the police and emergency services that these 5 bridges will be road-blocked: Southwark, Blackfriars, Waterloo, Westminster and Lambeth.
BREAKING: With seven arrests so far, Extinction Rebellion activists have blocked access to Downing Street, where a protestor is also currently glued to harris fencing. The Extinction Rebellion activists descended on Downing Street as part of the escalation of its nonviolent uprising against the British government for its criminal inaction on the climate emergency and ecological crisis. 
This action follows the dropping of two 37 metre banners from Westminster Bridge telling politicians and public ‘CLIMATE CHANGE’ and ‘WE’RE FUCKED’.
With just 4 days until Rebellion Day, Extinction Rebellion demands that the UK government immediately declares a climate and ecological emergency; reduces to zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2025, and creates a citizens’ assembly to oversee these changes.  
5 bridges to be blocked on Rebellion Day (Saturday 17th November)
Protestors will be creating a series of roadblocks on Saturday 17th November, from 10am. They will be occupying five separate bridges, participatingin a sit-in protest that will bring central London to a standstill. Performers, musicians, and artists will be leading the action and people from all acrossthe country will be arriving in coaches throughout the day.
Extinction Rebellion says: “We are bold. We will not hide. We are all in open rebellion. We have informed the police and emergency services thatthese 5 bridges will be road-blocked: Southwark, Blackfriars, Waterloo, Westminster and Lambeth.”
Extinction Rebellion announces Rebellion Day 2 on the 24th November
Following the huge demand for radical action, Extinction Rebellion has announced another day of national and international rebellion. The ExtinctionRebellion is bringing thousands of people onto the streets to demand that life continues on this planet.
Extinction Rebellion says: “”Thousands of people will be gathering in Parliament Square, London, from 8am each day from Wednesday 21st to Friday 23rd of November. They will be occupying the bridges and roads of central London. Through daily economic disruption, we hop the government will finally start taking the climate crisis seriously and address our demand for radical action.
Labour councillor Skeena Rathor prepares to be arrested
Labour councillor Skeena Rathor (42) from Stroud and her daughter Zahra Finebaum-Rathor (15) have both decided to put themselves forward for arrest as part of Extinction Rebellion.
They say: “We believe in miracles and human genius but the reality is we are on the threshold of social and climate collapse. We are about to lose all our present freedoms and so we offer ourselves for arrest with hope and courage in our hearts – to ask for leadership and truth – for our children.”
NHS psychotherapist Joseph Mishan prepares to be arrested
Father and healthcare professional Joseph Mishan is prepared to be arrested to save the climate. He joins thousands of people, from all walks of life. People who have already been arrested include vicars, scientists, and the retired.
Joseph Mishan says: “I am putting myself forward for arrest because I was shocked by the
IPPC report and the silence that followed. It was like being given a terminal diagnosis but without a treatment plan. I wondered if I was the only person who heard it. Or if I had dreamt it.”
85 year-old Reggie Norton arrested on Monday 12th November
On Monday, Extionction Rebellion occupied the Department for Business, Energy, and Industrial Strategy. Reggie Norton was arrested for painting the extinction symbol on the wall of the building. He was subsequently arrested and taken to a police station. He was released almost immediately pending investigation.
Reggie Norton said: “We are in the final chapter of this. The only way we’re going to solve a lot of the problems of the world, including climate change, is for all the nations of the world to come together. We are a family. The human race is all one family.”
Reggie has never been arrested before. And is prepared to be arrested again.
Towards Rebellion Day
Rebellion Day (17th November) will be the climax of a week of civil disobedience, with the potential for more.
- Thursday 15th November: An LGBTQI party to disrupt the Brazilian Embassy in the wake of Bolsonaro’s election. Women, people of colour, LGBTQIA+ people, defenders of the environment and free speech, and allies to any of these minorities are welcome 
- Saturday 17th November: Rebellion Day – major acts of civil disobedience across London, at Parliament Square and on some bridges. Thousands are expected to take part in a series of non-violent direct actions highlighting the villainous behaviour in our climate and ecological emergency, with protests including road blocks, bridge blockading and countless actions in solidarity across London and nationwide. Everyone is invited, particularly citizens concerned about the ecological crisis and those that feel the time has come to take a stand, and be conscientious protectors of the earth.
Many other events are taking place online and around the country in preparation for the rebellion, including non-violent direct action trainings in Leeds, London and Wales, talks across the UK about the climate emergency and what citizens can do to be part of Extinction Rebellion movement and talks by international partners about coordinated Rebellion Days around the world. 
- https://www.theguardian.com/environment/live/2018/oct/08/ipcc-climate-change-report-urgent-action-fossil-fuels-live; https://www.stockholmresilience.org/research/research-news/2017-07-02-three-years-to-safeguard-our-climate.html
- About Extinction Rebellion
Time has almost entirely run out to address the ecological crisis which is upon us, including the 6th mass species extinction and abrupt, runaway climate change. Societal collapse and mass death are seen as inevitable by scientists and other credible voices, with human extinction also a possibility, if rapid action is not taken.
Extinction Rebellion believes it is a citizen’s duty to rebel, using peaceful civil disobedience, when faced with criminal inactivity by its Government.
- Extinction Rebellion’s topline demands are:
- The Government must admit the truth about the ecological emergency, reverse all policies inconsistent with addressing climate change, and work alongside the media to communicate with citizens
- The Government must enact legally binding policy measures to reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025 and to reduce consumption levels
- A national Citizen’s Assembly must be created, to oversee the changes, as part of creating a democracy fit for purpose.
Website: https://risingup.org.uk/XR/; facebook https://www.facebook.com/ExtinctionRebellion/; Rebellion Day facebook event https://www.facebook.com/events/1758991460816073/; twitter https://twitter.com/ExtinctionR; hashtag #extinctionrebellion
- Declaration of Rebellion: https://rebellion.earth/declaration/
- Queer Party to SAVE the Amazon’. Details of this public protest are here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/252083962143963/. If you would like to attend please be in touch with email@example.com
- All details of Extinction Rebellion public events can be viewed here:
https://rebellion.earth/events/ If you would like to cover a public event then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The RisingUp network promotes a fundamental change of our political and economic system to one which maximises well-being and minimises harm. Change needs to be nurtured in a culture of reverence, gratitude and inclusion; whilst the tools of civil disobedience and direct action are used to express our collective power.